Patient Instructions After Scaling and Root Planning
These are some helpful suggestions that will increase your comfort and help you to receive the maximum benefit from periodontal treatment.
- Tenderness is normal. To reduce tenderness and promote healing, every two to three hours, rinse with warm salt water: ½ teaspoon salt in a 4 ounce glass of water.
- Avoid brushing or flossing the treated area for 12 hours. However, after 12 hours it is very important that you continue to brush well. Please be careful brushing and use a toothbrush with soft bristles. You may moisten the brush with warm water if tissues are tender.
- Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be used as recommended for discomfort.
- Highly nutritious food is necessary for the healing process. Avoid foods that require excessive chewing, also, sticky, crunchy or coarse foods.
- Tooth sensitivity is normal and temporary. You may use a desensitizing toothpaste such as Sensodyne or any major brand for sensitivity relief.
- You may also gently massage the areas treated with your washed fingers. This will increase circulation and promote healing.
- Lastly, please contact our office should you experience prolonged bleeding or any other problems during the healing process at (773) 631-8717.
These suggestions will help you receive the greatest benefit from today’s treatment.